NSGS Ancestree

Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals

NEBRASKA ANCESTREE

Volume 22, no. 3

Spring 2000


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 101

Sunmitted by: Roberta King, Arvada, CO

St. Boniface Catholic Church
St. Boniface Parish
Stuart, Nebraska

Established in 1899, this Catholic parish celebrated its centennial in August of 1999, still going strong and well attended today by many Stuart area residents.

Before 1890, the early Stuart Catholics had to travel to the St. Joseph Church in Atkinson, about ten miles east, to attend Mass; once a month, when Father Edward Engelbrecht came from Atkinson to celebrate Mass, the residents could attend church closer to home. In 1890, the Catholics purchased the old District 44 School Building in Stuart, and Mass was held there until 1897. Then Father Emil Klemenz of Atkinson guided the Stuart mission parish in the building of a new frame church at a cost of about $1400.00. In 1899, Bishop Richard Scannell of Omaha made St. Boniface an independent parish, and Father Anthony Birnbach became its first pastor. In 1911, a new brick church was built to replace the frame structure. The older wooden frame church was moved to Newport, Nebraska, about nine miles west, where it served that parish for many years. Finally, this frame church building was moved to Bassett, Nebraska, where it can now be seen in the City Park in the pioneer exhibit.

Early pastors of St. Boniface Catholic Church were:

Father Anthony Birnbach, ordained 1896; served August 13, 1899 to May 1, 1901; died August 8, 1941.
Father Charles Breitkopf, served May 1, 1901 to May 8, 1907; died February 24, 1942.
Father Julius Hettwer, served May 10, 1907 to August 1, 1917; died about 1950.
Father John W. Jungels, ordained 1884, served August 1917 to July 1930; died October 12, 1944.
Father John P. Hilt, ordained 1919; served August 3, 1930 to July 5, 1946; died April 26, 1971.
Father Anthony J. Paschang, ordained 1927; served July 5, 1946 to 1975; died April 16, 1982 and buried in St. Boniface Cemetery.

From this parish, three priests had vocations:

Father Leopold Blaschko offered his first Mass at St. Boniface on April 10, 1917.
Father Joseph L. Kaup offered his first Mass at St. Boniface on September 23, 1943.
Father Adrian Laible offered his first Mass at St. Boniface on May 29, 1958


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 102

ST. BONIFACE CATHOLIC CHURCH (continued)

From this parish, many young women chose vocations:

School Sisters of St. Francis (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Name Baptismal Name Father's name
Year of Entrance
Sr. Juliette Mildred John Ratigan
1911
Sr. Alba Bertha John Brau
1911
Sr. Edwina Catherine Joseph Bernt
1912
Sr. Ventura Theresa Max Kunz
1912
Sr. Gaudiosa Emma John Schneider
1913
Sr. Lautentia Mary Ward Brayton
1914
Sr. Austina Mary Edward Doyle
1917
Sr. Berenice Mary John Brau
1918
Sr. Francita Charlotte John Brau
1922
Sr. Odilla Mary Aloys Bartsch
1922
Sr. Tabitha Sophia John Kaup
1922
Sr. Richard Magdalene Mike Schaaf
1922
Sr. Maxine Angela Henry Kruger
1926
Sr. Mary Ottilia Jos. Schmaderer, Sr.
1927
Sr. Fidelia Ottilia Martin Hamik
1927
Sr. Maxima Louise Louis Jardee
1927
Sr. Amator Catherine Fritz Vogel
1927
Sr. Fredella Elizabeth Fred Goebel
1927
Sr. Edgar Margaret Henry Shald
1928
Sr. Lumena Lorene Fred Goebel
1928
Sr. Johannelda Irene John Kaup
1928
Sr. Theophane Albina Stencil Hytrek
1928
Sr. George Agnes George Weber
1929
Sr. Carla Lucy George Weber
1929
Sr. Leocretia Hildegard Henry Kruger
1929
Sr. Lorenzo Pauline John Laible
1931
Sr. Cecele Joy Rudy Custor
1933
Sr. Aiden Catherine Aloys Deermer
1934
Sr. Raynardus Irene John Laible
1934
Sr. Milford Rose Karl Deermer
1936
Sr. Maxima Louise Louis Jardee
1937
Sr. Felician Evelyn August Kramer
1937
Sr. Idalia Clara Frank Hamik
1937
Sr. Auxentia Mary Aloys Deermer
1937
Sr. Placidia Theresa John Hamik
1937
Sr. Frederica Agnes Fritz Vogel
1937
Sr. Lorraine Irene John Hamik
1940


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 103

ST. BONIFACE CATHOLIC CHURCH (continued)

Poor Sisters of St. Francis Seraph of the Perpetual Adoration
(Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Name Baptismal Name Father
Year of Entrance
Sr. Rudolphina Mathilda Nicholas Simons
1922

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity
(Denver, Colorado)

Sr. Carmen Laureen Otto Baumeister 1936
Sr. Maureen Catherine J.P. Murphy 1949
Sr. Carmela Lorraine Edward Coufal 1954

Ursuline Sisters (York, Nebraska)

Sr. Crescentia Anna John Ketterl 1915

Many of the church members were homesteaders, and the early church records indicate these homestead locations:

Name Section Twp. Range Acres
Brau, John 24 32 16 160
Brayton, E.L. & Ward M. 3 29 15 160
Clark, Albert M. 21 29 16 160
Flannery, John 18 30 15 160
Frost, James P 5 33 15 160
Frost, John 12 33 16 160
Hallock, Orange 35 31 16 160
Hallock, Orange 1 30 16 160
Hamik, Egnaz 32 29 16   80
Hytrek, Fritz 17 29 16 160
Hytrek, Fritz 2 29 16 160
Hytrek, Stanislaus 10 29 16 160
Kramer, Jacob 5 29 15 160
Kramer, John 19 3 15 160
Kramer, Martin 6 29 15 160
Kremer, Philip 8 29 15 160
Kramer, Wenzel 30 30 15 160
Kozisek, Frank 17 29 15 160
Krobot, Henry 21 29 16 160
Krysl, Vencel Jr. 19 29 16 160
Krysl, Vencel 30 29 16 160
Krysl, Vaclav 30 29 16 160
Krziza, Vincent 21 29 16   80
Kubik, Joseph 13 29 16 160
Kunz, Max 21 30 15   40
Kunz, Max 23 30 15 160
Meusch, John 13 32 16 160


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 104

ST. BONIFACE CATHOLIC CHURCH (continued)

Meusch, John (heirs of) 22 32 16 160
Meusch, J.W. 19 32 15 160
Miksch, Martin 33 29 16 160
Murphy, Jeremiah 25 30 16   80
Schneider, Herman 23 29 16   80
Schneider, Mathias 23 29 16   80
Stanton, Thomas 22 30 15 160
Stanton, Thomas 7 30 15 160
Steinhauser, John 18 30 15 160
Steinhauser, Thomas 20 29 16 160
Stuart, Peter 12 30 16 160
Timmerman, Simon 35 32 15 160
Ulrich, Leopold 28 30 15 160
Wedige, Carl 21 31 14 160
Wedige, Nicholas 23 31 14 160
Carberry, John 1 30 16   80
Murphy, Jeremiah 30 30 15 160

St. Boniface Parish established a parochial school early on. In 1906, Mrs. Valentin Krieg taught in the school until 1908, when the School Sisters of St. Francis came to Stuart to take over the teaching duties; they have remained at this school since then. The first nuns who taught were Sr. Concordia (Superior), Sr. Hortensia (teacher) and Sr. Thecia (homemaker). In 1912 the school held classes in the basement of the church; in 1962 a new school, which is in use today, was built and dedicated.

The School Sisters of St. Francis, who came 1908, lived on the second floor of the first school building where there was no plumbing, central heat, or electricity. In 1920, a private residence was purchased by the parish, and in 1921 the nuns took up residence there, where they remained until 1995. In 1995, this convent was sold, arid is now a bed and breakfast, appropriately called "The Sister's House".

Sources:

Saint Boniface Church 1899-1974. Atkinson Graphic Publishing Co., 1974.

St. Boniface Church Stuart, Nebraska 1899-1999. United Church Directories, Galion, Ohio. 1999

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

MANCHESTER, IA. DATELINE ARTICLE -1899

Abstracted From: The Rod Cloud Nation, Thursday, May 25, 1899, Vol. IX, No. 13

Manchester, Ia., May 17. - Three persons were killed and four are known to gave been seriously injured by a tornado which struck last night near Colesburg, twenty miles northeast of this city. The Dead: George LAANG, Jerane JACOBS, ____ TUPPER, child. The injured: Mr.. RIDEMONT, Mrs. REIDNOUR, two TUPPER children. The TUPPER children will probably die. Great damage was done ... in ... Colesburg the tornado passed along the Turkey river to Littleport ....


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 105

Submitted by: Roberta King, Arvada, CO

A List of Burials of Veterans in three Stuart, Nebraska Cemeteries

This is a list of veterans buried in the cemeteries of the Stuart Community Cemetery (noted with initials Comm.), the St. Boniface Catholic Cemetery (noted with the initials St. Bon.), and in the Cleveland Cemetery (noted by initials Clev.).

Grand Army of the Republic

Allyn, Augustus Clev. Moody, Strong B. Comm.
Berry, Williams Clev. Mulford, Charles M. Comm.
Brown, Louis F. St. Bon. Pope, C. Comm.
Brubaker, A.A. Comm. Popplebaum, Herman Comm.
Carpenter, Volney S. Comm. Ramey, John H. St. Bon.
Corliss, Samuel H. Comm. Rohr, Silas Comm.
Galleher, Thomas Comm. Russell, David B. Comm.
Gilbert, Joseph F. Comm. Sheldon, John W. Comm.
Haskins, Asa K. Comm. Taylor, John C. Comm.
Hoffman, John St. Bon. Thomson, Andrew L. Comm.
Kirkendall, Wm. M. Comm. Tracy, T.F. Comm.
McCartney, James S. Comm. Voigt, George H Comm.
McCartney, Marlin V. Comm. Walker, H.A. Comm.
Margritz, George S. Comm. Wise, Elmer (Civil War) Comm.
Wise, Christopher Comm.
Miller, Daniel Comm. Wright, Wm. Wallace Comm.
Miner, George W. Comm. Zink, Nathaniel Comm.
Miller, Orville D. Comm.
       
Spanish American War
Galleher, Warren Comm. (also World War I)
Wise, Elmer Comm. (also Civil War)
Wertz, John W. Comm.
       
World War I
Bigelow, Dana McDermott, Shank St. Bon.
Brown, James P. Comm. McKenzie, Bid. St. Bon.
Cadwallader, Harry Comm. McNaughton, John
Capsey, H.C. Millie, Percy Comm.
Carlisle, Ray Comm. Miner, George SL. Bon.
Chaney, Earl St. Bon. Mlinar, Ralph St. Bon.
Chenoweth, Andrew Comm. Mulford, Charles Clev.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 106

Veterans Buried in Stuart Cem. (continued)

World War I (con't)

Chittick, Robert Jr. Comm. Norton, Harvey Comm.
Clark, Dr. F.J. St. Bon. Norton, James. Comm.
Canard, Dick Comm. Patterson, R.C. Comm.
Davis, LeRoy St. Bon. Peacock, Gardy
Dyer, Ward Comm. Ramm, John St. Bon.
Engler, B.C. St. Bon. Rhodes, Roy A. Comm.
Frost, Luther Comm. Roberts, Harry F. Comm.
Galleher, Warren Comm (also Spanish American War) .
Greenfield, Roy Comm. Schorn, John
Hall, George Comm. Shade, C.B. Comm.
Hall, John Comm. Shaffer, Benjamin Comm.
Hamilc, Henry St. Bon. Shald, Gerhard J. St. Bon.
Holiday, Weaver Comm. Shald, John St. Bon.
Holman, Lloyd Comm. Simons, Charles
Horton, Art Comm. Simons, Nicholas St. Bon.
Jauernig, John St. Bon. Stuart, Dale Comm.
Ketterl, Joseph St. Bon. Sypal, George
Kohle, Herbert St. Bon. Thurlow, Amos M. Comm.
Krysl, Joseph St. Bon. Wefso, Charles Comm.
Laible, Joseph St. Bon. Wells, Walter Comm.
Wewel, Frank St Bon.
       
World War II
Alder, John Comm. King, Gale St. Bon.
Baggett, Carl St. Bon. Kohle, Frank St. Bon.
Ballard, Albert Kramer, Edward St. Boo.
Ballard, Fred Comm. Krobot, Frank St. Bon.
Ballard, Vernon Comm. Kruger, Jerome St. Bon.
Bartlett, Harold Lane, Ernest Comm.
Baumeister, Bernard St Bon. Levi, Joseph Comm.
Bernt, John St. Bon. McCartney, Robert Comm.
Bolen, James Comm. McCoy, John Comm.
Brainard, Dorson Comm. McGrew, John Comm.
Brayton, Robert Comm. Mueller, R.A.
Cadwallader, Don Comm. Nelson, Clifford Comm.
Cadwallader, Kenneth Comm. Newman, Herbert Jr. Comm.
Cadwallader, Robert Comm. Newman, James Comm.
Cadwallader, Wayne Ninas, Harry
Carlisle, Glenn Ninas, Leonard Comm.
Carlisle, Gordon Comm. Ninas, Robert Comm.
Caster, Arlin Clev. Olberding, Arthur St. Bon.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 107

Veterans Buried in Stuart Cem. (continued)

Chaney, Donald St. Bon. Pahl, Melvin St. Bon.
Gianey, Robert Papke, Thomas Comm.
Cieslak, Steve St. Bon. Pearson, Lloyd
Coats, Norris Comm. Pettijohn, Moran Comm
Coday, Hugh St. Bon. Ramm, Robert St. Bon.
Cole, John St. Bon. Rhodes, Orlo (also Korean)
Schneider, Edward St. Bon.
Conard, Henry Comm. Schneider, George St. Bon.
Criss, George Comm. Schobert, Tom St. Bon.
Deermer, Bernard St. Bon. Seger, Alfred St. Bon.
Flannigan, Ward St. Bon. Seger, Wilfred St. Bon.
Gans, Kenneth Comm. Shald, George H. St. Bon.
Gill, Gardner Comm. Shald, Gilbert St. Bon.
Goebel, Andrew St. Bon. Shald, Louis St. Bon.
Shane, Ellies St. Bon.
Hoffman, Arthur Comm. Shearer, Richard St. Bon.
Hoffman, Gary St. Bon. Sinions, Ralph St. Bon.
Hoffman, John A. Comm. Smith, Walter A. Comm.
Hoffman, Raymond A. Comm. Stiller, Marjorie
Hoffman, Raymond J. Comm. Stracke, Amos Comm.
Hoffman, Wilbert Arthur Comm. Sydow, Lester
Hovey, William Comm. Tielke, Gregory St. Bon.
Humerich, Harold Comm. Wadsworth, Beryl
Hytrek, Frank St. Bon. Wedige, Eugene St. Bon
Jensen, Jack Comm. Weichman, Frank St. Bon.
Johnson, Rodger Earl Comm. Wells, Walter
Kath, Cleo Wewel, Don (also Korean) St. Bon
  Yarges, Melvin
Kaup, Tony St. Bon.   Zink, Robert Comm.
Keidel, David
     
Korean War
Batenhorst, James St. Bon. Rhodes, Orio (also WW II)
Cole, Robert St. Bon. Schafer, William Comm.
Cole, Melvin St. Bon. (also Vietnam)
Galinat, Leonard Comm. Shald, Ivo St. Bon.
Johnson, Harold Comm. Sweet, Edwin P. Clev.
King, Leonard Comm. Sweet, John
Kramer, Ralph St. Bon. Thurlow, Lavern Comm.
Meusch, Raymond St. Bon. Weichman, Milton St. Bon.
Philbrick, Robert Comm. Wewel, Don. (also WWII) St. Bon.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 108

Veterans Buried in Stuart Cem. (continued)

Vietnam
Brown, Franklin Comm. Kaup, Greg St. Bon.
Cadwallader, David Comm. Kramer, James St. Bon.
Cole, Melvin (also Korean) St. Bon. Pickinpaugh, Kerry . Comm
Gantt, Donald St. Bon. Tubbs, Robert E.
Jardee, Daniel St. Bon. Ramm, Michael . St. Bon
Wilbern, Thomas V.

St. Boniface Cemetery and Stuart Community Cemetery are located 1/4 mile west and 1 mile north of the town of Stuart. The Cleveland Cemetery is located1 mile east, then 14 miles north of Stuart.

The above list was transcribed by Roberta "Bobbi" King from the Memorial Day program of Monday, May 31, 1999. This annual service is sponsored by the Norton Carlisle Post #115 American Legion and Legion Auxiliary.

----------/---------- ----------/---------- ----------/---------- ----------/----------

GHOST TOWNS OF PAWNEE COUNTY

Submitted by: Ruth Anna HICKS

This article is reprinted from a book compiled by Nancy SOMMERHALDER, Lewiston with informational help from Mrs Billy MILLER & Edwin BREDEMEIER.

MISSION CREEK

An Indian mission was founded by the Presbyterian Church in the 1850's just across the state line in Kansas. When the precincts for Nebraska were laid out, most likely Mission Creek was named for that Mission.

The first settlers arrived in 1856, followed by others. In 1869, W.J. HALDERMAN opened a store in a building owned by Mr. CAROTHERS, on section 22. A harness shop was operated on the second floor by Mr. Otto UTTER. Mr. M.K. WALKER took over the store and postoffice in 1874. Miss KINKADE had a millinery store across the road south, and a blacksmith shop and several dwellings were located there.

Another store, run by Perry MILLER and Daniel SWARTOUT was known as the Grange or STONE Store. It was started a mile west of the Walker store. A blacksmith shop, a drug store, a doctors office, and some dwellings were located here. It was hoped that a railroad would come through the precinct near on of these stores. Above the stores, community meetings were held.

The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1872. Mr CAROTHERS gave land for both the church and a parsonage. Fires destroyed both of the original buildings.

The Pawnee County Fair was held in Mission Creek from 1876 to 1880. The lair grounds were located on the NW1/4 of section 28, south east of the Grange Store, It was moved because of objections that it was on the far edge of the county and because Kansans and Indians won the prizes.

The Baptist Church was organized in 1879. Baptism took place in Mission Creek.

A sorghum factory was "running full blast" in 1879. In 1882 the railroad came through Liberty, and mail was carried to Mission Creek Post Office located in the store. Later the eastern residents got their mail from Brookwalter and the Mission Creek Post Office was moved to the home of Thomas GRIGGS.

After Brookwalter was laid out, the Mission Creek store and several residences were moved up there. Only the Presbyterian Church and parsonage remain, and the cemetery one mile south and one mile west of the church.

Early residents in this area were: BARTHOLOMEW, David NEILL, Henry MUSFELT, George TANNER, Abe MANLEY, John BOWHAY, Thomas GRIGGS, Christian REES, Perry MILLER, Oscar JENNE, JENNINGS, JOHNSTON, STOUT, CARPENTER, and HALDERMAN.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 109

History of Cedar County, abstracted from THE LAUREL ADVOCATE, 4 June 1898.

Abstracted by Georgene Sones, Omaha.

J. F. MILLS, publisher of the Advocate.

L. E. JONES of St. James, Nebr. recorded early facts & reminiscences. Later developments by J. F. JENAL, clerk of Cedar Co.

Being requested by the LAUREL ADVOCATE to submit a historical sketch I have taken the liberty to present some of the early history by one of our old pioneers who is with us yet. L. E. JONES Sr. during 1876 and thereafter recorded this information in deed record #4, pages 1-14. Jr. JENAL is owner of largest flouring mill on the main Bow creek near village of St. James.

Cedar co. was formed (with later boundary changes) on 12 Feb. 1857 at St. James lying below the mouth of Petite Arc (Bow creek).

Early pioneers who are still in the county: C. C. VAN, James HAY; O. D. SMITH; Saby STRAHN; Hanson WISEMAN; John ANDRES; Henry, Ernest, Gustavus & Herman FELBER, together with their father, Paul FELBER. This colony emigrated from Harrison co. Iowa.

The following Spring the settlements of Waucapona & St. Helena were organized. Those in Waucapona & still residents: Warren SAUNDERS; George A. HALL & Amos S. PARKER. I am only aware of 1 person for St. Helena, P. C. NISSEN. In July of 1858 the writer landed in Cedar co. and with others surveyed & platted the town of St. Helena. In the Spring of 1859, Henry FELBER with 3 sons, Henry, Jacob & William; Peter JENAL Sr. & Jr. together with my own family arrived by boat from St. Louis, Mo. C. B. EVANS & sons arrived during the summer of 1858 from Council Bluffs.

About this time, or previous, a few settlers located in the NW corner of the county opposite Streik-Me-Ree's camp, now Yankton. Saby STRAHM was founder of that settlement. Others & those we still find: John & David NELSON; Ambrose AMBROSEN; Ambrose & Ole ANDERSON. In the Fall of 1861: J. LAMMERS; C. KOHLS: B. WUBBEN: Stephen KLUG; B. SUING: F. WEISLER & C. ARANDS settled near Bow creek where they still live. Indians were hostile. A family of 5 children of Mr. WISEMAN, near St. James, were slaughtered in 1863. In the Spring of 1864 Dr. Alonzo BENTZ was killed.

In the Summer of 1864 they had to fortify themselves against the Indians. (Names mentioned): the writer (L.E. Jones); P. C. NISSEN, Henry FELBER; & Jacob BRAUCH. In the same year the 7th Iowa Cav. Co. B. was stationed here on land now owned by Fred HARDER.

Towns: St. James, St. Helena & Strahmburg. Co. seat moved to St. Helena. St. James was abandoned with exception of O. D. SMITH & family who kept a general store & post office.

THE CEDAR COUNTY ADVOCATE was est. in early 1874.

First county officers: George A. HALL, then I. S. McCOUBRY (who left co. in 1863); then Peter JENAL to present. 1st co. clerk was George L. ROBERTS, then Moses H. DEMING: S. P. SAUNDERS: then W. H. COLLAMUR and since 1863 P. C. NISSEN. Present (1898) officers are: Silas REYNOLDS, W. 11. POWELL, C. A. EVANS, John LAMMERS, Henry MORTEN, L. E. JONES & A. McNEAL.

In 1877 there are 8 postoffices.

1860 & 1861: private schools taught by: Geo. L. ROBERTS: T. C. BUNTING & P. CLARK.

Hartington was est. during 1883 & is now the co. seat with 1000 inhabitants. Randolph spring up during 1886. Then came Belden & Laurel. Laurel's Growth:

Laurel dates from the Spring of 1892. J. P. GALLAGhER, is present agent


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE VOLUME 22 NO 3
Page 110

Cedar Co. from THE LAUREL ADVOCATE, 4 June 1898.

of Pacific Short Line. S. E. REED is agent for CStPM&O RR.

Laurel Townsite Co. is composed of T. F. CLARK, now residing at Traer, Iowa; L. C. TOLLES. W. M. MARTIN had 1/4 interest in original town. The Goltz addition was laid out in 1893 by L. C. GOLTZ, now of Winside.

The U.B. Church was built in 1892; W. N. ROUSH, 1st pastor. Rev. Ida THOMAS is now in charge; Rev. W. K. CRAY organized a Methodist class in 1894; followed by Rev. F. M. CLARK, then Rev. Wm. R. PHELPS. Rev. F. HEFNER of Coleridge holds meetings for a branch of the German-Lutheran church at the UB. church. Rev. H. A. HILPERT came in 1895 & built a church for German Lutherans.

Postoffice was est. in July 1892 with O. M. WAITE, postmaster. Next Fred PHILBRICK; J. M. MILLS is the present one. Waite is of the firm of EVERETI' & WAITE. Philbrick of firm of ADAMS & PHILBRICK. Mills is an old soldier who came here 4 years ago from Cleghorn, Iowa.

J. J. MOORE came in 1893 & is with Peavey grain elevator. C. V. PATRICK came from Rock Rapids, Iowa 5 years ago.

C. W. MILLER, pres. of Farmers State Bank.

COBURN & W. T. FISHER engaged in lifestock. Fisher moved to Randolph. ANKENY & EVERETT also in lifestock since 1897. Everett have from Lyons 6 years ago.

J. W. TURNER, came from Omaha last. Oct., has Park hotel. L. D. BREAK came in 1893, owns the Hotel Laurel.

W. W. COLLINS & Chas. KLEVER have restaurants. Mrs. MURPHY from Belden sells pies, cakes & meals.

M. T. WOODRUFF in seed busines for more than 5 yrs. His daughter was first child born in the city. He built here in 1892.

G. P. CHESSMAN & Harry VRANDERBERG built roller mill in 1892. CHESSMAN bought out Vranderberg and put E. F. Chessman in charge. In 1896, A. T. FORTNEY traded the Park hotel for the mill and is running it. Fortney has resided here for 6 years coming from Wisconsin.

Laurel Butter Co. began in the spring of 1895. Officers: Geo. BOLLEN; H.A. ANKENY; L.C. TOLLES and B.J. HAEUSSLER

MITTELSTADT Bros. came in July 1893 and bought lumber yard of J. W. McDWEITT. There are 3 brothers: Louis C. at Norfolk; Adolph C. came to American from Germany 6 years ago, is married and lives here; Edward R. has been in this country for 7 years. He has matrimony in contemplation. Waite & Douglas have a lumber business started 1 Jan 1896.

WAITE is a retired farmer living at Lyons. DOUGLAS came from Omaha.

Everett & O.M. WAITE have general merchandise started April 1892.

COBURN & FISHER, bought the general merchandise of BRUCE & BLEICH in Oct. 1894, coming from Atkinson, Nebr. Firm is composed of J.H. COBURN, his son, D. D. and W.T. FISHER.

Z.T. FUNK, general merchandise, came during winter of 1896 from Atkinson. His son, Zack, assists in store.

W. O. TOLIVER from Norfolk has started a new store.

J.H. BURNS, general merchandise, came in spring of 1895.

C. W. MILLER & son, E. W., came from Concord in spring of 1892 and started Farmers State Bank. H.H. CLARK had an interest but sold to Rev. F. X. MILLER, brother of C. W. Miller.

Laurel State Bank, incorporated 15 Aug. 1895 Officers; T. F. CLARK of Traer, Iowa; F. A. McCORMACK of Sioux City; E. R. BURNEY; W. T. GRAHAM


** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **

Return to TOC for Volume 22, Nebraska Ancestree

© 2006 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project